Friday, November 5, 2010

My Lullaby


For over two years there was particular song I listened to almost every night. The song became almost a lullaby to rock me to sleep. Unfortunately my lullaby came from a burned CD given to me, so I never knew the name or artist. The song is beautiful. The voice is innocent and young sounding. The words are clear and simple-yet profound and so touching. I loved more than anything to just listen to the song while drifting into unconsciousness. After months and months of wondering where this song came from, I just came to the realization that I would never know the true origin.

 About a year ago I heard about an artist by the name of Sufjan Stevens. There was much talk about the beauty of his music so I decided to check him out. The sound was so familiar-suddenly, it hit me. The song I had loved for years was not going to remain unknown-It had a name, and an artist: Casimir Pulaski Day, by Sufjan Stevens.

Sufjan Stevens born 1975 is an American singer-songwriter and musician born in Detroit, Michigan. Stevens first began releasing his music, beginning with 2000 release A Sun Came, on the Asthmatic Kitty label, http://asthmatickitty.com/  which he formed with his stepfather. Since then Stevens has been producing music and catching the attention of listeners. Many people might consider Stevens a folksy artist, as my first impression of him was, but since 2000- Stevens has released albums of varying styles, from the electronica of Enjoy Your Rabbit and the folk of Seven Swans to the symphonic instrumentation of Illinois and then Stevens even produced Christmas-themed Songs for Christmas.

Stevens is considered part of the folk revival in indie pop, but looking at his work, it is evident that his influences are very broad. He uses variety of instruments, often playing many of them himself on the same track, and writes music in various time signatures. His music is becoming more known to more than just the folk scene. With his recent album, The Age of ADZ, his unique style and independent lifestyle has proven Sufjan Stevens one of the great artists in the indie world. His unique ability to capture hearts I’m sure will only progress as he continues making music that can be a lullaby for people like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment