Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Just Pause, and Listen


I first heard of the band Bon Iver from a friend who is very passionate about music.  He told me of this man, Justin Vernon, who, after an apparent terrible break up, went to a cabin for a time and simply made music, although that wasn't his original intent. He used all his own equipment for the instruments and recording, and would have to do the actual recordings at unusual hours of the night-when there weren’t cars racing by. I could hear complete sincerity in his voice. In such a simple song I felt so much emotion and passion from what he was doing. He may not have had the most beautifully smooth or necessarily mainstream-talented voice, but the words he carefully chose were incredible. A mixture of honest words, simple guitar and drums, and the incredible melody’s, the music Bon Iver creates is so beautiful I can’t help to pause what I’m doing and simply listen.

The Band Bon Iver was founded in 2007 by American indie folk singer-songwriter Justin Vernon. The band further consists of Michael Noyce, Sean Carey, and Matthew McCaughan. Vernon independently released Bon Iver's debut album, For Emma, Forever Ago in July 2007, the album that he worked on in the cabin. That album is the only true album that Bon Iver has made-yet, but along with that they have produced an EP, Blood Bank, which was produced early in the year of 2009, and numerous singles-one where he is a featured artists among stars like Kayne West and Jay-Z.

Since that first time hearing Bon Iver-“Skinny Love” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrMmr1oMPGA&feature=related ), I have had an odd craving to hear more. I am still discovering the band, but I am loving it. Each song has a level of emotion and truth that is so hard to find in music these days. To me, good music doesn’t have to be a pretty voice that can belt a high note, or a catchy tune I can dance to. Music is something that can make me feel. It is art. And Bon Iver is so beautiful in that it can render up emotions in me I didn’t necessarily know were there. They deserve to be known not only in the indie rock world, but among anyone who enjoys pausing and simply listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment